1996-12-06 - Re: Laptops and TEMPEST

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Joel McNamara <joelm@eskimo.com>
Message Hash: 1b27b55e7caa43f7a2da558f409780c0bb5abf4c781935e672ab47543baff8c5
Message ID: <199612060131.RAA19977@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 17:31:16 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 17:31:16 -0800 (PST)
To: Joel McNamara <joelm@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: Laptops and TEMPEST

At 02:18 PM 12/5/96 -0800, Joel McNamara wrote:
>Thinking that LCD screens reduce the risks of emanation monitoring is a
>dangerous misconception (at least under a high threat model).

I disagree that it's a "dangerous misconception" to believe that "LCD
screens reduce the risks of emanation."

While it might be correct to say that it would be dangerous to believe that
they ELIMINATE the risks, LCD displays would make it exceedingly difficult
to read the screen remotely.  The main reason is that the LCD segments are
activated in parallel, which means that the electronic noise associated with
a particular row is a smeared product of each portion of the display.  This
is quite unlike CRT's, in which individual pixel information is completely
(well, except for color) demultiplexed by time.

> However, the gotcha with current laptops is their
>backlighting.  Electric and magnetic fields are considerably higher
>compared with a low-res/contrast device.

What does the backlighting have to do with anything?  The backlight and its
noise is not modulated (at least, not in anything less than the optical
band) by the imformation provided on the screen.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread