1996-12-20 - Re: Executing Encrypted Code

Header Data

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 20a82ed5f95390ff5ccc341b36f32396dbecf522ac239165341d3548af3b32c2
Message ID: <v0300780daee0b326161c@[207.94.112.213]>
Reply To: <v02140b02aee098f27cff@[192.0.2.1]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-20 21:46:38 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:46:38 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:46:38 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Executing Encrypted Code

At 11:52 AM -0800 12/20/96, Peter Hendrickson wrote:
>At 9:42 AM 12/20/1996, Bill Frantz wrote:
>> I meant processor backup of course.  When my processor breaks at 2AM and I
>> need to get the report out by 8AM, I'm going to call the software support
>> line and get help.
>
>If your processor dies you are SOL whether or not you have software.

I have 3 Macs in the house.  The places I work have rooms full of machines.

>If it's worthwhile having a backup processor around, then you just have
>to spend a little more to have backup software, too.

I thought your model was cheap processors and expensive software.  I.e.,.
The cost of the software is greater than the cost of the hardware.  Sounds
like more than just "a little more".

>If the old copy protection just worked, it would have been widely accepted.

Again, there is a complex infrastructure which offers the customer no
obvious benefit.  I disagree that copy protection would have been widely
accepted, even had it worked smoothly.  In fact, this scheme can be
characterized as a scheme to make copy protection work.

(Slightly tangentially, when my wife was in China at the Women's Conference
NGO meeting, someone walked off with a collection of copy protection
dongles as souvenirs.  The people who wanted to use the software were SOL.)

Bill Frantz       | I still read when I should | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | be doing something else.   | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | It's a vice. - R. Heinlein | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread