1996-12-14 - Re: Race and IQ

Header Data

From: proff@suburbia.net
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 216a3d75644f79a1a8ff36c440d5a77de36bc0d88afd6585708dfe900843aba8
Message ID: <19961214054348.15808.qmail@suburbia.net>
Reply To: <v03007800aed7dc316131@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-14 09:31:10 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 01:31:10 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: proff@suburbia.net
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 01:31:10 -0800 (PST)
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Race and IQ

> (For the curious, I am persuaded that there are minimal differences in
> "intelligence" between the several or many races, but that cultural and
> sociological factors strongly affect upbringing, learning, interest in
> doing well in school, ability on standardized tests, success in business
> matters, and so on.)
>
> --Tim May

Just as there are differences in physical attributes between races,
so to are there are differences in the brain between races, and even
for genetic enclaves within races (and sexes which genetically,
contain greater differences than between races).  However, it has
been my experience that individual differences exceed racial
differences making the whole race vs. anything discussion a waste of time.
i.e people should be judged as individuals not as members of one
race or another, because that is where the most useful discrimination
lays.

The only time as-a-race attributes matter is when you are setting
public policy for an-entire-race, which in my opinion should never
be done. Set the rudder of your public policy by the correlation
between the statistical attributes that you are trying to address,
rather than what may or may not be a real correlation between those
attributes and race.

-Julian (proff@suburbia.net)

Thread