1996-12-02 - Re: A quick discussion of Mersenne Numbers

Header Data

From: Scottauge@aol.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2b1dda427c2b319d328c105e882b39df9698f8d0b24db2dc918eb30f4a89d7d1
Message ID: <9612012231161486872145@emout17.mail.aol.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-12-02 03:31:59 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 19:31:59 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Scottauge@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 19:31:59 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: A quick discussion of Mersenne Numbers

>  On Sun, 1 Dec 1996 Scottauge@aol.com wrote:
>
>  > I wake of the latest find announcement, some people maybe wondering what

> the
>  > heck is this?!!
>  >
>  > A mercenne number is of the type:
>  >
>  > M(p) = 2**p -1 results in a prime when p is a prime.
>  >
>  > Hopefully this will lead the way to see the pattern of prime numbers and
>  > being able to compute prime numbers in a far more efficient manner
(after
> all
>  > a function that when given a prime number results in a prime number
would
> be
>  > quite a kicker now wouldn't it!)
>
>  It doesn't.  If q is a Mercenne prime, then p is prime if q = 2^p-1.  It
>  doesn't work the other way around.  If it did, then it would be very easy
>  find out if a number is a Mercenne prime: just add 1 and find the base 2
>  logarithm and if the result is prime, then the original number is prime.
 It'
>  much more difficult than that.  It would also be possible to find an
> infinite
>  number of Mercenne primes using a deterministic algorithm.
>

>  Mark

I agree, my discussion was toooooo quick and the statement:

>  > M(p) = 2**p -1 results in a prime when p is a prime.

is misleading.  I was thinking the second paragraph when I was writing the
statement statement above.  A case of the mind working faster than the
fingers?

Thread