1996-12-24 - Re: Untraceable Payments, Extortion, and Other Bad Things

Header Data

From: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: 3654231420d54e86658a282884cfdd60ce2b2ab8f6ae53cf360878e9f79628df
Message ID: <199612242019.MAA18186@netcom18.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199612240326.TAA29712@mail.pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-24 20:19:36 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 12:19:36 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 12:19:36 -0800 (PST)
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Untraceable Payments, Extortion, and Other Bad Things

>You obviously (deliberately?) are misrepresenting May's comment above.  It
>isn't that some kinds of evil are "no big deal":  It's that quantiatively,
>refusing to accept a solution that would prevent, say, 100 deaths, simply
>because it would cause _one_ DIFFERENT death is foolish and misguided.
>
>If you feel inclined to deny this, consider the reverse situation:  Would
>you approve of the saving of one life if it cost 100 lives?  (all things
>being equal.)  While most people would feel uncomfortable being asked to
>make decisions of this kind, that does not mean that one outcome is not
>identifiably better than another.

*I* am misrepresenting Timmy's statement?
please explain to me how anonymous extortion and kidnapping/ransom (what
Timmy was talking about) saves lives along the lines of the above
reasoning...

Thread