1996-12-25 - Re: clipper plans 4 sale

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Message Hash: 38c7b3cabe52000854ae85116f44b2120a1d59650d0f19e19f62887611cfcd91
Message ID: <199612250528.VAA26570@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 21:28:28 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 21:28:28 -0800 (PST)
To: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Subject: Re: clipper plans 4 sale

At 04:18 PM 12/24/96 -0500, Adam Shostack wrote:

>	Many people will believe it.  Its easy to construct the case
>that the ITARs, as they apply to things in the public domain, thing
>implemented outside the US, things designed outside the US, are just
>silly.  Its much harder to make that argument about Skipjack,
>especially as you can't legally export the chips.

When Clipper was first proposed, in April of 1993, as I recall one of the
government-types promoting it claimed that it would be exportable "except to
terrorist-sponsoring countries like Libya."

This made me laugh:  It seemed to me that if Clipper codes were kept and
available to the US government, you'd expect that they'd WANT Libya to get
those phones!  In fact, they'd air-drop them in the thousands, right?  After
all, this would make other countries more dependant on the US for
cooperation, and they'd be more pliable as a result, right?

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread