1996-12-03 - Speedbumps

Header Data

From: jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 40195970f2bab4d548f7fa8d4780cae735841ef699bb955427458838e8132d11
Message ID: <9611038496.AA849634495@smtplink.alis.ca>
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 06:36:34 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 06:36:34 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Speedbumps

Zona Research Inc.
Sun Wins China Internet Backbone Deal

Sun Microsystems announced it has been chosen by China Internet Corporation
(CIC) to provide equipment and technology for CIC's Internet/Intranet network
for China -- the China Wide Web (CWW). Pursuant to a nonbinding memorandum of
understanding, CIC intends to purchase $15 million of Sun servers and network
security and management products, as well as Java computing technology. Expected
to service 50 major Chinese cities, the CWW will enable companies within and
outside of China to search, exchange, and promote business information and
services.

The significance of this deal goes beyond its face value in dollars.

* We believe the CWW will assume the characteristics of a national Intranet*,

becoming an important vehicle for Chinese communications and commerce.  As a key
supplier of technology to CIC, Sun gains a high profile status within China,
which we believe gives Sun significant leverage on future Chinese
Internet/Intranet deals. Overall, this deal provides Sun with a major inroad to
the Chinese Internet market.

Thread