1996-12-26 - Re: Unix Passwd

Header Data

From: Carl Johnson <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: Fyodor Yarochkin <fygrave@freenet.bishkek.su>
Message Hash: 40746df9a41274fef82e276207dd16b520084cded7899c5cbdaefd7b56071e66
Message ID: <32C2AAB9.57A9@sk.sympatico.ca>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.91.961226155652.3979T-100000@freenet.bishkek.su>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-26 14:42:04 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 06:42:04 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Carl Johnson <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 06:42:04 -0800 (PST)
To: Fyodor Yarochkin <fygrave@freenet.bishkek.su>
Subject: Re: Unix Passwd

Fyodor Yarochkin wrote:

> Anyone has any success in breaking this?
> -f

   I was visiting a business running SCO Xenix, and they were all
aflutter over the fact that their 'root' password was fucked, and
they couldn't perform any System Administration tasks.
   I took their SCO installation disks, used the 'find' command to
find the 'passwd' file, and piped it to the editor.  I blanked out
the password for 'root' and rebooted the system.  When logging on
as root, it prompted them for a new 'root' password.

   By the way, do you know why a 'Back Door' is so named?
   It's because when someone comes in through it, and wreaks havoc,
you wake up with a sore asshole.

Toto
  "The King of Country Porno"
  "The World's Foremost Computer Expert"