1996-12-12 - EXT_ort

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 46b88d13b293995ab7bcbf54f09bac4ce21ad5c55809fbf32cc9d82caf287364
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19961212120514.006980d8@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:08:53 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:08:53 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: EXT_ort

 "U.S. Will Modestly Revise Encryption Exports Rule"

 The Administration will modestly revise controversial
 export rules for computer encoding technology after a
 private meeting Wednesday with computer and
 telecommunications companies, Reinsch said after the
 hour and a half long meeting. Industry officials argued at
 the meeting that the draft rules were unclear or unworkable
 on a number of points. BSA said, "We are not optimistic that
 these rules will be turned around and we feel going to
 Congress is our only option."

 "Industry Gears Up To Oppose Newest Encryption Plan"

 Opposition is mounting to the newest draft plan floated Mon.
 by the Administration. One company representative called
 the plan "policy extortion." Until now, most opposition has
 come from software industry; some hardware  companies
 are now starting to edge away.

 One rule appeared to expand types of communications
 subject to key system, noting that rule said that products
 referred to text of "encrypted data and communications."
 That could be interpreted as e-mail. The document
 showed that law enforcement agencies had the upper
 hand.

-----

EXT_ort

Thread