1996-12-13 - Re: Redlining

Header Data

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
To: dthorn@gte.net (Dale Thorn)
Message Hash: 54d594f606fd2dcc12de9fa90833558f4c03843bdb579482d3759d9fb4596290
Message ID: <199612130156.TAA02703@smoke.suba.com>
Reply To: <32B03E27.5EF9@gte.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-13 01:37:53 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 17:37:53 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 17:37:53 -0800 (PST)
To: dthorn@gte.net (Dale Thorn)
Subject: Re: Redlining

Mr. Thorn wrote:
> > P.S. Please note that we cannot yet tell if the racial differences in
> > IQ are environmental or a mixture of environmental and genetic; I
> > believe they are purely environmental, but there is about as much
> > evidence for this belief as there is for God's existence (something
> > I also believe in).
> Example:  Environment has a profound effect on a person's mind (outlook,
> perceptions, attitudes, moods, etc.), and thereby has a significant, if
> indirect effect on that person's hormone production (quantity, balance).
> Those hormone productions have more effect on the body and brain long-
> term than any other influence I can think of.

     I bet the problem is even simpler than that.

     Look at studies that correlate nutrition with grades/learning.

     Look at "inner city" dietary habits of 3 to 5 year old children (and
any other "under performing" group).

     I'd bet $20 on the correlation.

Petro, Christopher C.
petro@suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>