1996-12-06 - Encryption/data-changing in russia

Header Data

From: Benjamin Grosman <bgrosman@healey.com.au>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5548fe4bff554b012fcdb0829e79379ca1580976989697a75acbb2cf16e4ebb0
Message ID: <2.2.32.19961207002348.00874dcc@healey.com.au>
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 19:27:07 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Benjamin Grosman <bgrosman@healey.com.au>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 19:27:07 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Encryption/data-changing in russia

Dear All,

whilst on the subject of PGP in Russia, I encountered something very
interesting. A friend of mine who is Russian, but lives out here, frequently
corresponds with friends in Russia via email, and in the course of sending
emai, they occasionally send an attachment. However, the attachment that
_all_ his russian friends send, including the ones who use MIME capable
email clients such as Eudora, always, _always_, uuencode files, and they say
they can't do MIME. I am wondering if the encryption/data-changing laws in
Russia are so strict as to disallow MIME encoding even, but still allows UU
for some reason?

Any clues as to this?

Yours Sincerely,

Benjamin Grosman