1996-12-12 - Re: Redlining

Header Data

From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 59a2e5e58af367d46974ce9ac27dbcf48e9ec37f289db7eadeec49af37dc875e
Message ID: <199612121813.KAA02708@mailmasher.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 10:13:50 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 10:13:50 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Redlining

At 10:20 PM 12/11/1996, Matthew J. Miszewski wrote:
>>(Let me add that remailers are great.  I would be reluctant to express
>>these ideas in any other way for professional reasons.)
>
>hehehe.

Actually, there's nothing funny about the suppression of free speech.
What I fear is being dragged into a baseless "discrimination" lawsuit
if I should ever hire somebody from a "protected class" and find that
their employment needs to be terminated.  Note that the "protected
classes" constitute the overwhelming majority of the US population.

>>(Those who don't believe me should get "Love Supreme" by John
>>Coltrane and listen to it carefully about 20 times.  There are
>>layers and
>
>And what was it that Bird's contemporary society called him?  Was it
>crazy?  This is one of the social ills potentially caused by
>discrimination.  Far more important to me than the politics of any
>time is the music that a time period presents.  But this visionary
>jazz musician was all but discredited by the musical environment of
>the times.  Thankfully, it survived on its merits.  But imagine if
>the campaign to discredit Coltrane had been successful and my young
>ears never experienced that beauty.  That is part of the potential
>harm I am talking about.

Is this a joke?  How can we pass a law telling people to like
somebody's music?  Respect cannot be legislated.  It must be earned.

Red Rackham

Thread