1996-12-23 - Re: Off topic litter on Cyperpunks

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Lurker <lurker@mail.tcbi.com>
Message Hash: 5ddba45a89c8803965539ba2c65ae26b35dfcccdb18688fb3ecc4dd7a63acd58
Message ID: <32BE1EF6.3A57@gte.net>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19961222141617.006999b0@mail.tcbi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-23 05:57:40 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 21:57:40 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 21:57:40 -0800 (PST)
To: Lurker <lurker@mail.tcbi.com>
Subject: Re: Off topic litter on Cyperpunks

Lurker wrote:
> What has happened to cypherpunks?  I joined this mailing list more recently
> than many others who recieve it, but most reacently it has gone downhill.
> The descriptions I have read (and I have read many) all state that this
> list is deadicated to the discussion of cryptography issues.  Where the
> hell is the discussion about cryptography?
> Three fourths of the messages I have been recieving are off topic (Ebonics
> and "Slaughter").  If I wanted to read about current events and holocost I
> would have joined groups that were specified for discussion of those.

Now Lurker, you can go read a discussion of Indo-European culture or
South American sheep grazing on any news group, and if the info posted
there doesn't conflict with any current government interests such as
restricting crypto, then sure, the discussion will be plain and out in
the open for all to see (and who cares anyway, right?).

But you didn't really expect to come here and just get handed the most
interesting technical data on a subject that *does* concern the NSA et
al rather deeply, and not have to do any work?  It's there, but it's
going to take patience and some reading between the lines.  Consider
yourself lucky that you can suscribe to such a list as this, while
such a freedom still exists.

Thread