1996-12-31 - Re: Responsibility

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 683b26981e3ea6501e50a33b3a50f658eb3c1ccc126fd1e697d3a5067d6b7477
Message ID: <1B5RZD28w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 18:30:18 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 18:30:18 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Responsibility

Mike Duvos writes:
>Brent E. Turvey (bturvey@connix.com) wrote:
>
>: This NG is not a certified twelve-step program operating under
>: anonymity. This is not even a group of people in recovery operating
>: under any kind of professional guidance at all. It is in essence a
>: PUBLIC FORUM on a given topic. There are no secrets, and no reasonable
>: expectation of privacy. There is also no necessitation for legal
>: confidance.
>
>This has been discussed before.  Most people are aware of how Usenet
>works, and people who don't want their posts linked to their real
>life identities can post anonymously.
>
>: It's also unmoderated. Anyone can look in at any time that they want and
>: review any posts current and past that they see fit thanks to the good
>: people at Dejanews. And anyone can post whatever they want.
>
>Yup.
>
>: However there are a number of individuals engaged in exploitative
>: behaviors with the survivors here and other places on the net. Any
>: therapist or other certified mental health professional can give you a
>: better and more complete definition of "exploitative behaviors" than I
>: could do here.
>
>Changing our tune a bit, aren't we Brent?  The infamous list was
>advertised as a list of predatory offenders and abusers.  Now it
>seems to be just a list of people whose Usenet interactions with
>others you choose to characterize as "exploitative."
>
>: It is mainly for the reason of professional ethics and responsibility
>: that I posted the list of people to be careful of earlier this month.
>: Incumbent in that responsibility is my desire to offer potential victims
>: a survival tool.
>
>Quite frankly, Brent, you offering the survivors in this newsgroup a
>"survival tool" is much like a person on fire offering a gathering of
>penguins an ice cube.  The patrons of this newsgroup are Past Masters
>of survival.  You, on the other hand, are a master only of sticking
>your foot into one bodily opening, while simultaneously sticking your
>head up another.
>
>: By posting that list, I made it totally available to not
>: only the frequent and infrequent subscribers to aar, to explore on their
>: own as they see fit, but to the law enforcement agencies who now monitor
>: usenet as well.
>
>Who, I am sure, are laughing hysterically at all of this.  Please
>continue to pee on your chances of ever doing this professionally
>at every opportunity.
>
>: No strict personal agenda; only a professional one. No personal attacks.
>: Just observations of behavior.
>
>Goodness Brent, do you really think we need you to observe peoples
>behavior for us?  Most of us who have been around the Net since the
>clever little protocols were designed by the engineers, and who can
>even remember events like "The Great Renaming", and the origins of
>Kibo, are fairly astute judges of human behavior.  We have seen
> [...]

Is Brent as goofy as the ASALA terrorist (about to be fired by Earthweb
for net-abuse), or even goofier?

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM