1996-12-04 - “Just call the police”…yeah, right

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 71138f64de845749eac8debb78e913286bffd6e1d17b07a5470b6eed8ca5713b
Message ID: <v03007801aecaa897a813@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <Love@22825>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-04 04:04:37 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 20:04:37 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 20:04:37 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: "Just call the police"...yeah, right

At 12:03 PM -0800 12/3/96, Troy Varange wrote:
>	Well, the "danger" of posting a static IP must be even
>	greater than with a temporary IP.
>
>	Just call the police if you uncover a bonafide case of a
>	denial of service attack.  From what I gather, they take
>	this shit seriously, and have better capacities of
>	getting lazy admins to reveal the relevent data in their
>	logs.

Saying "just call the police" strikes me as being one of the most absurd
things I've ever heard on this list.

(If I receive a "Logos-gram" warning me I am being unpolite, you know where
it'll go.)

99.7% of all local police departments will say, "Huh?" Then they will ask
what an "IP" is, then they will advise the caller to deal with it in civil
court, and hang up.

Most police departments seem to have a hard time using their 8086-based PCs
to run WordPerfect, and have almost no contact with the Internet.

If your local cops are prepared to deal with a subtle attack involing IP
pings, or whatever, they all I can say is that you must live in the nerd
capital of the world....actually, I thought Silicon Valley was that place,
and I know for sure that the local police aren't prepared to handle obscure
attacks.

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"