1996-12-30 - Just another government fuckover: New crypto regulations

Header Data

From: “Attila T. Hun” <attila@primenet.com>
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 74086fa2fb83c53b2a57a5eea65fb56c573180d2cb2d35351666e5ed02b683b8
Message ID: <199612300837.BAA02719@infowest.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 00:36:19 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Attila T. Hun" <attila@primenet.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 00:36:19 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Just another government fuckover: New crypto regulations

        books are and have been protected prior to the US Constitution.
    one can presume books with crypto source code would be protected
    accordingly; one Federal judge (Patel in SF) has ruled source code
    is protected under freedom of speech and therefore can be published;
    yet another judge in the Washington area has ruled it is not.  There
    is no question the feds will appeal Patel's ruling in the Ninth
    Circuit (known to be pro rights in general, but difficult to
    predict).  eventually it will go to the US Supreme Court.

        my personal opinion is the Supreme Court will rule against it
    using a rationale that the actual source code sections of a book can
    be classified as can any other intellectual property under the
    National Security Act. Secondly, they will not consider that form of
    speech an inalienable right.

        I had my rounds with the bastards years ago, no fucking humour
    whatsoever, and prone to use the IRS to enforce what the courts
    could not afford to enforce due to the requirements of disclosure in
    the courtroom at the time (which have since been plugged); and if
    that does not work, set you up for financial fraud, fraud by wire,
    or dope.  Today dope is the perfect charge; it has been whipped into
    a frenzy by the feds and their CIA infiltrated media.  let me assure
    any doubters the real extent of terror which the spooks can apply.

        the US Government has not been a legal government for years; it
    is a private club which can be bought, and its services sold to the
    highest bidder.  It is a collection of whores who are part of a
    cabal of the very rich and powerful; it is totally unaccountable
    to the public it represents.  Waco, Ruby Ridge, and the bombing of
    their own federal building in Oklahoma City in order to scare Joe
    Couch Potato into giving up personal freedoms for security are
    perfect examples of a government drunk on it owns powers.  Just like
    Oswald, they have a perfect patsy with the defendants in OKC.

        P.J. O'Rourke states it correctly:

            "And the Clinton administration launched an attack
                on people in Texas because those people were
                religious nuts with guns.
            Hell, this country was founded by religious nuts with guns."

        O'Rourke also said:

             "Giving money and power to the government is like
                giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys"

    and there is no better example than the cocaine stoned, reckless
    mentality of Bill Clinton.

        an important fact to keep in mind in US judicial review: few of
    the judges can be relied on 1) to resist pressure from the Feds and
    2) to take the rights of the people seriously and as 'inalienable
    rights.'  this may sound pessimistic and cynical, but the courts
    have been sliding, in some cases rather quickly, to a position that
    echoes the UN Bill of Rights:

        the UN's "International Covenant on Civil and Political
        Rights" (ICCR): Article 18 states that "everyone shall
        have	the right to freedom of thought, conscience and
	    religion" but specifies that "freedom to manifest one's
        religions or beliefs may be subject only to such
        limitations as are prescribed by law and necessary..."

        in other words, I do not think we will see the feds permit the
    use of books to export cryptography.  this almost becomes irrelevant
    outside the academic world in the provisions of the regs which
    effectively block hardware or software products and in effect seem
    to cut off the loophole of US companies funding overseas operations
    and importing the results, etc.  the new regs basically ban it all
    ways.  and the new regs are not the supposedly improved and friendly
    versions promised --they are draconian.

        books are an intellectual 'solution' to the problem. the real
    problem is the hardware. in order to negate governments and their
    virtually stated intentions of blocking our inalienable freedoms,
    particularly freedom of speach, we must be able to distribute
    universal crypto worldwide, and be able to improve it as the shadow
    governments of the various spook shows improve their ability to
    break our code.

        this last round on the ITARs blew out distribution.  asking
    visitors to your web sites if they are U.S. citizens is not going to
    be sufficient for Bubba's goons: Janet Reno and Jamie Gorlich.

        the only real solution is guerilla warfare; anonymous
    distribution; overseas' establishment of clearing houses for updates
    and source code.

        freedom of information is just that simple; there are no
    compromises.  Patrick Henry said:

        "Give me Liberty or Give me Death."

        publish, publish, and civil disobedience. Patrick Henry used
    handbills.

        knowledge is knowledge --get it in the public domain, and
    in the public's hands even if you must go door to door like a
    fuller brush salesman...  but your product is free and it is for
    their freedom.

        don't waste your time getting out the vote; get out there and
    fight.  contribute.

        if you do not have the balls to do it, you are not for freedom.

        the only natural cure for corrupt government is bright sunshine.
    and a rope.

  ==
    Tyranny Insurance by Colt Manufacturing Co.

Thread