1996-12-23 - Re: Legality of requiring credit cards?

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 809ccbf68dfad51e62508b1912b0386b6b68f27f0e3f80538ed2ed3d0faae562
Message ID: <1o5cZD11w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <Pine.OS2.3.95.961222151556.7261A-100000@klinzhai.nanticoke.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-23 00:20:11 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 16:20:11 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 16:20:11 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Legality of requiring credit cards?

Michael Gurski <mgursk1@umbc.edu> writes:
> It's that wonderful season again, when all the assholes are out in
> force, and people feel obligated to purchase merchandise to give to
> each other.

So don't. It's another idiotic American custom that I don't follow.

>              For various reasons, I don't believe in credit cards, and
> yet, trying to pay for something by personal check at the local
> Hecht's, they either *require* a credit card, or go through the Nazi
> check-warranty company Equifax.  However, it doesn't stop there...only
> SOME departments seem to have this requirement (Electronics/Luggage
> not requiring).  Is it legal to require credit cards?

They're welcome not to accept checks if they don't want to.
Why should the gubmint tell anyone whether it's "legal" to reject
checks from potential crooks? "Cypher punks" and "libertarian"
are such fucking statists. If you don't want to use a credit card,
pay cash.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM