1996-12-16 - Re: ITARs effects

Header Data

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8ff67ba7e334a6d861d07124db816e5efbf77d9a4128171b602085d0ab5299ed
Message ID: <v02140b00aeda64c99d0a@[10.0.2.15]>
Raw Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:40:01 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 18:40:01 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: ITARs effects

>Adam Shostack writes:
>
>: Peter D. Junger wrote:
>: |
>: | : This implies that putting something up for FTP == export. Holy
>: | : shit.
>: |
>: | That has always been the position of the Department of Defense Trade
>: | Controls with respect to the ITAR, the only difference is that now
>: | it is going to be in writing.
>:
>:       My understanding is that they choose not to continue
>: per^H^Hrosecuting Phil for putting the code up for FTP.  Thus, this is
>: a change.  Or did Phil not put the code up for FTP?
>
>Phil probably did not put up the code,

[snip]
> In my case the
>government's lawyer has made it quite clear that they would consider
>putting cryptographic software on a web site as a violation, and I
>don't think that for this purpose there is any distinction either in
>the government's mind or in reality between an FTP site and a web
>site.

These changes are all aimed at making it harder to make money from strong
crypto and therefore reduce its common availability worldwide. They do
little  to keep it from circulating worlwide, what ever its country of
origin as anonymous posting to a newsgroup is still straightforward.

Look for more shareware and commercial crypto source to circulate in
printed, rather than machine-readable, form to take advantage of freedom of
speech rules.

-- Steve

Thread