1996-12-19 - Houghton-Mifflin wants spam in exhange for publicity

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 90e6b2c3667dba6099e946d47556cbcdb2dbd1d897af1343f1e518fc3255209a
Message ID: <v03007801aede680f5b7e@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199612190259.VAA24570@julian.uwo.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-19 03:33:48 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 19:33:48 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 19:33:48 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Houghton-Mifflin wants spam in exhange for publicity

At 9:59 PM -0500 12/18/96, Wes Brown wrote:
>excellent idea ! Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 15:27:19 -0800 (PST)
>>From: Dave Kinchlea <security@kinch.ark.com>
>>To: all@ami.lhsc.on.ca, everyone@heartlab.rri.uwo.ca, family@kinch.ark.com,
>>        friends@kinch.ark.com
[long message elided]

Which part was the "excellent idea," falling for the spam of a commercial
company or copying a long message and only adding the stupid "excellent
idea" comment?

Personally, when I got the Houghton-Mifflin spam message, I sent them 5
very large files in reply. Glad to hear others have helped also to crash
their damned mail servers.

Anybody who thinks they were "trying to save the children" needs to take a
wake up pill, read some Mencken or Clemens, and get real. It was a standard
marketing ploy.

The books were no doubt bought from cronies, sent to illiterates in crack
houses, and everyone is happy.

Those who spam our mailing list with commerical advertisements deserve
death. And if that can't (yet) be delivered conveniently, mail bombs.

Fuck Houghton-Mifflin and all those who fell for the spam.

(Interestingly, it appears that a movement is already building to
continually bombard them with mail, each and every Xmas. Next year the
"Craig Shergold Effect" will ensure that their site gets taken down again.)

--
[This Bible excerpt awaiting review under the U.S. Communications Decency
Act of 1996]
just watch!"....Later, up in the mountains, the younger daughter said:
"Dad's getting old. I say we should fuck him before he's too old to fuck."
So the two daughters got him drunk and screwed him all that night. Sure
enough, Dad got them pregnant, and had an incestuous bastard son....Onan
really hated the idea of doing his brother's wife and getting her pregnant
while his brother got all the credit, so he pulled out before he
came....Remember, it's not a good idea to have sex with your sister, your
brother, your parents, your pet dog, or the farm animals, unless of course
God tells you to. [excerpts from the Old Testament, Modern Vernacular
Translation, TCM, 1996]

Thread