1996-12-11 - Cypherpunks December Meeting (SF Bay Area)

Header Data

From: Dave Del Torto <ddt@pgp.com>
To: pgp-mime@purpletape.cs.uchicago.edu
Message Hash: 956036010339395c3b20f6c621c9a512b0f8abf183fc841fe98d638a318393ba
Message ID: <v03100b00aecbc1318d5c@[205.180.136.70]>
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 10:06:47 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dave Del Torto <ddt@pgp.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 10:06:47 -0800 (PST)
To: pgp-mime@purpletape.cs.uchicago.edu
Subject: Cypherpunks December Meeting (SF Bay Area)

     [wide distribution: please excuse any duplicates you may receive]

Salutations,

The Cypherpunks December 96 Physical Meeting is being hosted by Pretty Good Privacy, Inc. We've rented a meeting room at the Hotel Sofitel (see below) that can accomodate ~100 people. There will be munchies, and I think this qualifies as a cypherpunk milestone of sorts, so I hope lots of you show up.

Please see <http://www.pgp.com/961214.html>.

General Info:

1) RSVP's
Please RSVP ASAP to <mailto:ddt@pgp.com?subject=cpunks-mtg-rsvp> if you plan to attend (reply to this with "cpunks-mtg-rsvp" as the Subject). It's very important that I have a clear idea of how many humans plan to attend as soon as possible, because we're also providing refreshments/snacks which we need to order from the hotel in advance. Thanks.

2) Location/Time
We'll be holding this "Open Meeting on US Soil" at the:

 Hotel Sofitel
 223 Twin Dolphin Drive
 Redwood Shores CA 94065
 415.598.9000 tel

Meeting time is 11 AM - 5 PM (a Sofitel time slot), as we have to be out of the room shortly after 5 PM for a wedding setup).

The Sofitel is a block or two south of the shining Oracle towers on Twin Dolphin Drive, which is easily accessible from Hwy 101 (on the east/SF Bay side of the freeway) in Redwood City (12 miles south of SFO airport and a few miles south of the Hwy 92/San Mateo Bridge junction as references).

There are directions and a simple GIF map at the meeting info URL.
 <http://www.pgp.com/961214.html>.

NOTE: when you arrive at the Sofitel, look for signage pointing to the exact room we're meeting in, or inquire at the main desk. Bring your friends.

3) Demos
If you want to demo something at the meeting, tell me ASAP(!). We encourage anyone who has anything Cypherpunks-related to present (even stuff that's already been seen before but which has been updated) to bring/show it. I'm going to set the arbitrary cutoff date for demo reservations as 11:59 PM on Thursday 12 December: we can have the right equipment ready for you if you list what you need in detail. If you wait until the last minute and bandwidth is limited, we may not be able to fit you in, unless you have something very simple to show, so please bear that in mind.

There will be overhead projection and an RGB projector available. Net connections can be arranged with advance notice. Right now, we have not arranged anything beyond a Metricom modem (28.8Kbps), but we can arrange an analog modem line or even an ISDN if there's a specific need. Tell me soon(!).

4) Handouts/Door Prizes/Raffle
Handouts are welcome: please give me your stack of handouts for the table when you arrive. If you want to pass out detailed mailbomb instructions, please do it outside the building at your own risk (inside the meeting, please refrain from getting PGP Inc in trouble, we do enough of that ourselves already ;).

There will be door-prizes from PGP, but supplies are limited if 100 people show up. We may also raffle off some software (upgradable when our new stuff comes out).

5) PGP Key "Thing"
Bring a printout of your key fingerprint/key. Or a diskette version, or both. We'll have a key exchange/signing session at the end of the meeting.

6) PGP/MIME BOF at the IETF
The IETF's PGP/MIME BOF is Friday 13 Dec, 9:00-11:30 AM (Crystal Room, Fairmont Hotel, 170 South Market St. in Downtown San Jose, 408.998.1900 main). Since it's a Birds Of a Feather session, I think interested people in the San Jose area can show up if they want. Please come by if you want to help support RFC 2015 so PGP/MIME can take the next step toward IETF Working Group discussion so we can eventually move it to the IETF Standards Track process. Anyone who's at the IETF is encouraged to stay over until Saturday and come to the Cypherpunks meeting too!

- --

I hope to see everyone there! If you have questions about any of this, email me (I'm at IETF this week, but I'm wireless). If there are any last-minute announcements before Saturday, I'll post them.

   dave

Dave Del Torto                                      +1.415.65432.31  tel
Manager, Strategic Technical Evangelism             +1.415.631.0599  fax
Pretty Good Privacy, Inc.                        http://www.pgp.com  web

Thread