1996-12-19 - Re: Earl Edwin Pitts, $224,000

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bcf6104e15bcdce6f9344c8fcc13fc60fef05ed00944a29f5ad046cbbad727d6
Message ID: <v03007800aede52a753c9@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199612190120.UAA22811@homeport.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-19 02:00:20 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 18:00:20 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 18:00:20 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Earl Edwin Pitts, $224,000

At 8:20 PM -0500 12/18/96, Adam Shostack wrote:
>http://www.cnn.com/US/9612/18/fbi.spy/index.html
>FBI agent spied for Soviet Union, Russia.
>
>"He also provided a stolen FBI handset to a telecommunications device
>used to transmit classified information,"
>
>Too bad he didn't have access to the Clipper database.  That would
>have helped us find its free market price.

...and who's to say he didn't? Anyone who bought it--the Russians, for
example--would hardly have been likely to publicize their purchase.

(Maybe if _we_ purchased it, we'd publicize the purchase, but nearly anyone
else would not.)

According to tonight's news reports, he was in charge of
counterintelligence against the Soviets and then the Russians in the New
York area. This gave him considerable access to surveillance and crypto
methods. Note also that James Kallstrom heads up the New York FBI office.

(Maybe he knows some members of this list.)

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"