1996-12-03 - Dow-Jones Counsel Writes

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c502de5055811f78427ac1c4520ed9155c8cb185dfc5fddf749e20e6bf2a2ba5
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19961203225226.006a479c@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:19:49 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:19:49 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Dow-Jones Counsel Writes

---------

Date:    Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:15:07 -0500
To:      jya@pipeline.com
From:    legalwfc@wsj.dowjones.com
         (Legal Department - Dow Jones & Co. NYC)
Subject: Articles on Your Web Site

Hello.

I am an attorney with Dow Jones & Company, Inc.  I came
across your Web site recently and saw that you have
incorporated articles from The Wall Street Journal, which
is a publication of Dow Jones.  Dow Jones is pleased that
readers find information in The Wall Street Journal important
enough to communicate to other Web users.  The articles I've
seen are, or have been, located at

   http://jya.com/clash0.txt;
   http://jya.com/xpanix.txt;
   http://www.jya.com/peanut.txt;
   and http://www.jya.com/boomer.txt.

We also appreciate your encouraging others to take a look
at our articles.  The problem is that posting our copyrighted
material at your site violates copyright laws, even if you give
us credit, and even if you don't charge people to read the
posted material.  The same would be true if someone were to
republish material that you created without your permission.
You can, of course, recommend stories from The Wall Street
Journal at your site by citing the headline and the date of
the article and providing a brief description.  And those
articles can be viewed quite easily for a modest subscription
fee in The Wall Street Journal Interactive Edition, the Web
site of The Wall Street Journal (http://wsj.com).

While we hope you keep reading The Wall Street Journal, you
must remove our articles from any Web site you control as
soon as possible.

If you want to talk to me about this, you can reach me at
(212) 416-3108.

Many thanks.

Sincerely,

Hunter Farrell
Counsel
Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

---------

We thanked Mr. Farrell for his courteous note, promised
to keep WSJ articles off our site and read the paper.

Thread