1996-12-16 - Re: sorry for the spam!

Header Data

From: Dagmar the Surreal <dagmar@edge.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c9dc0147d02c66dfc0fbc620f33ea18b7c0723ea5363f70c74120361dc27d9e9
Message ID: <3.0.32.19961216021235.00725744@edge.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 00:10:49 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dagmar the Surreal <dagmar@edge.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 00:10:49 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: sorry for the spam!

At 10:49 PM 12/15/96 -0500, "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw@wittsend.com> wrote:
>Psionic Damage enscribed thusly:
>
>> I apologize 4 the spam, not my doing, Haven't figured out who waz
>> responsible, but I will understand if I amd kicked off this list.
>> Once again, I am sorry.
>
>	The individual is a little shit operating a windows system on
>IP address 206.129.116.108 as of Sunday evening.  While the messages
>where poping up on cypherpunks, one of the Received-By headers was
>indicating his IP address.  I was able to confirm his presence on the
>network and determine it to be a windows system operating with the workstation
>name of "MARLAEST" and a workgroup name of "ESTES ADVENTURE".  He's not
>operating a windows messaging pop-up or I would have sent him an appropriate
>message of appreciation.  Since it IS a windows system (and not running
>sendmail) I think it is safe to assume that he IS the end point of this
>bullshit.
>
>	206.129.116.108 is in a block assigned to Premier1 Internet,
>Coordinator Michael Heuerman, mikheu@PREMIER1.NET (360-793-3658), who is also
>getting a copy of this...

Aside from that, the traceroute of that IP address just happens to take it to nlights.net, which is apparently somehow affiliated with AOL, but in any case, the WWW pages the spam points to just HAPPEN to list down at the bottom an email address to contact the author which isn't a remailing service like geocities or hotmail.  It's zerofaith@nlights.net.

Normally I don't like to call people liars in public, but I think that if Mr. Faith doesn't know who's responsible for the spam, then I'm the Queen of @#$%!
England.
Dagmar the Surreal, now with 50% less sodium!
Coming in 1997--Surreal III, http://edge.edge.net/~dagmar
(...now where did I leave that darn salt?)

Thread