1996-12-11 - Re: Redlining

Header Data

From: “E. Allen Smith” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: mjmiski@execpc.com
Message Hash: ca5acd50976588309fa027d9fcd19dbd8f49764464bd77a325d15667683fd8c5
Message ID: <01ICVRTK0606AEL6R8@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 08:33:07 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "E. Allen Smith" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 08:33:07 -0800 (PST)
To: mjmiski@execpc.com
Subject: Re: Redlining

From:	IN%"mjmiski@execpc.com"  "Matthew J. Miszewski" 11-DEC-1996 03:52:03.23

>This is the essence of, at least, my disagreement with you Red.  I dont
>agree that redlining doesnt harm people.  You see no harm.  I do.

	Of course redlining causes harm to those who are redlined... they
can't get credit. But the same can be said of any system of keeping
track of who is likely to repay credit; it means that someone who has
defaulted on past loans won't get future ones. Quite simply, while I
would agree with you that racism certainly persists (it would be
difficult for me to grow up in the South and not see this), I would
argue that you have no evidence for that the basic motivation behind
redlining is that the people in such areas are less likely to repay
credit.
	-Allen

Thread