1996-12-11 - Re: Redlining

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: cbe8a563dad5f7aba9bc7e2cbc682c7f68637299e3357b96cd367f50f89a7d32
Message ID: <199612112307.RAA02329@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <v03007803aed4c54f9c32@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-11 23:11:00 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 15:11:00 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 15:11:00 -0800 (PST)
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Redlining

Timothy C. May wrote:

> At 12:43 PM -0600 12/11/96, Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
> >
> >The problem is, people can choose what credit history they want to have
> >(I can be a saver or a spender, for example), but nobody can change the
> >color of their skin.
> >
> >This is central point of the theory why discrimination based on credit
> >histories is OK, while the discrimination based on race is not.
>
> But of course one also cannot change one's gender, age (except by waiting),
> or national origin, marital status (at least not easily), etc. and yet
> these often offer correlation data on expectation of payback.

Correlation is not an evidence of discrimination, at least to me.

See my another post.

You need to do a cross-sectional analysis to find out whether
discrimination takes place.

I would appreciate if some attorney on this list shed some light on the
legal definition of discrimination.

Thanks.

	- Igor.

Thread