1996-12-20 - Re: Ahem… ‘virus’?

Header Data

From: “Steven Chanyi” <SChanyi@Rogers.Wave.ca>
To: dagmar@edge.net>
Message Hash: da5c10e33992631a800d402b3863fb00e513a17dca7a3fdc6f7cb4e9b48a9e25
Message ID: <199612200135.RAA09574@aphex.direct.ca>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19961219181215.006d68a8@edge.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-20 01:26:45 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 17:26:45 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Steven Chanyi" <SChanyi@Rogers.Wave.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 17:26:45 -0800 (PST)
To: dagmar@edge.net>
Subject: Re: Ahem... 'virus'?

> Date:          Thu, 19 Dec 1996 18:33:23 -0600
> To:            cypherpunks@toad.com
> From:          Dagmar the Surreal <dagmar@edge.net>
> Subject:       Ahem... 'virus'?

> Let's get a few things straight here before we go any further...  I field
> enough calls from the clooless at work trying to warn me about getting...

And you call them clueless?!  One thing to keep in mind... the ignorant are
usually aware of their ignorance, the stupid, well...

>... 2. How many of you people are using Microsloth Internet Mail?  It was
> mentioned a LONG time ago (I think here, in fact) that there was a major
> mental lapse on the part of the programmers when designing it because
> single-clicking a piece of mail will view it, while DOUBLE-CLICKING the
> mail will execute it (and any attached files!)....

And just like the clueless ones who fall for "Good Times" memos, you've fallen
for some misinformation yourself. Single clicks in MS Internet Mail allow you
to view the contents in the preview window - without opening or executing any
attachments, while double clicking opens the message in it's own window - again
without opening or executing any attachments. Try it a couple of times and
you'll see for yourself. Just because you "heard it on the internet" does not
make it fact!

>... their computer is completely kaput, or sitting in a shop waiting for
> someone like me to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything...

What an absolutely horrifying thought!!

> Dagmar the Surreal (not actual size)
> "The Internet is Full.  Go Away."

To the former I suggest you change surreal to unreal, and as for the latter -
you might consider taking your own advice.
Steven :-)

Thread