1996-12-24 - Re: Legality of requiring credit cards?

Header Data

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
To: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Message Hash: eb8047cdd1c4bf49b6830b1ee913c5b023fe55f86adab2e8182833deeb531757
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.961224152114.2335J-100000@mercury.thepoint.net>
Reply To: <32C036F3.24D6@gte.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-24 20:29:42 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 12:29:42 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 12:29:42 -0800 (PST)
To: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Legality of requiring credit cards?

On Tue, 24 Dec 1996, Dale Thorn wrote:

> Brian Davis wrote:
>
> > > I bought a new PC a few months ago with just shy of $7K worth of
> > > $100 bills.  No one even blinked.
>
> > Remember that if you go over 10K, the recipient is supposed to file a
> > form 8300 with the IRS ....
>
> Make sure that, unless you don't mind the FBI putting an extra monitor
> on you, you don't *ever* transact $10k or more at one time, or on one
> purchase in smaller increments over a relatively short period of time.

Be especially carefully of structuring a $10,000+ transaction into
smaller transactions in an attempt to circumvent the reporting
requirements.  Doing so ("structuring a transaction") is a felony.

I was involved in reviewing a matter for possible prosecution in my
former life.  Guy wins big football pool (season long) -- total of
$27,000.  He calls an *leaves a message* that he wants 3 $9,000 checks.
He gets them, goes to branch 1 of bank x and cashes one.  Then to branch 2
and cashes another.  Then back to branch 1 for the third.

The bank, as required, filed a Report of Suspcious Transaction.
Fortunately for him, the IRS-CID agents jumped the gun and alerted him to
the investigation (by interviewing him) before he filed his taxes for
that year.  He then knew enough to report the income and pay the taxes.

We settled the matter by having the money forfeited and having a civil
monetary penalty assessment against him under the Bank Secrecy Act (the
first such penalty against an individual ever).  He got credit on the
civil assessment for the money forfeited, so all he lost was his $27,000
in winnings.

Had he been better at it, he never would've been caught, IMNSHO.

EBD

> I know this because one of our customers in Encino was tagged this way
> in 1983.  What was really hilarious was that they brought the equipment
> in for us to have a look at, since we were experts on HP proprietary
> gear and they weren't.  (Or we were a lot cheaper than HP corp.)

Thread