1996-12-18 - Computer crime prompts new parole restrictions

Header Data

From: Lile Elam <lile@art.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ec8b145333f5eb4d2f6a12ea5a59d116ccfc60263063ac5a42f3a8d9bb9f7819
Message ID: <199612172358.PAA29660@art.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 16:01:31 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Lile Elam <lile@art.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 16:01:31 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Computer crime prompts new parole restrictions

Hi all,

I saw this article in the nando.net paper today and was interested in
your thoughts on it. It looks like people on probation will be limited
in there use of encryption and access to the Internet.

To me, it seems like this could be equated to preventing
people on probabtion from using something like a phone. I am
having problems with it because I feel these limitations are too
severe. I mean, a good way someone on probabtion to make a living
is to learn how to use the web and prehaps get a job as a html
coder.

There is a hacker I know of (Kevin Poulsen) who is prevented from
using computers during his current probation and it really has limited
his options alot. I curated and maintain a website for him at URL:

	http://www.catalog.com/kevin/

where this issue is dicussed.

It also seems to me that preventing people on probation from
using encryption would be difficult especially when encryption is used
in webservers (ie Netscapes Secure Server). One could accidentally
access one and not know that he was sending/receiving information
via an encrypted channel.

thanks,

-lile

http://www.nando.net/newsroom/ntn/info/121796/info1_7523.html

Computer crime prompts new parole restrictions

Copyright (c) 1996 Nando.net
Copyright (c) 1996 The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (Dec 17, 1996 07:42 a.m. EST) -- The U.S. Parole Commission has
approved restrictions on the use of computers by certain high-risk parolees.

The Justice Department announced Monday that the panel voted this month to
authorize such restrictions as requiring certain parolees to get prior
written approval from the commission before using an Internet service
provider, computerized bulletin board system or any public or private
computer network.

Other restrictions would: prohibit particular parolees from possessing or
using data encryption programs, require some parolees to agree to
unannounced inspection of computers by probation officers, require some
parolees to compile daily logs of computer use or to pay for equipment to
monitor their computer use.

"Unrestricted access to the Internet and other computer online services can
provide sophisticated offenders with new opportunities for crime and
criminal associations," said Edward F. Reilly Jr., commission chairman. "We
cannot ignore the possibility that such offenders may be tempted to use
computer services to repeat their crimes."

The commission noted a surge in "how-to" information on child molestation,
hate crime and the illegal use of explosives available on the Internet and
on computer online services.

Copyright (c) 1996 Nando.net
Do you have some feedback for the Nando Times staff?

Thread