1996-12-22 - The Ebolics Virus may be contained

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f048a5456626eb99f806462158a140c00a1b12eae49b9a97f325781a945e491c
Message ID: <v03007800aee340007037@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.95.961221144523.595B-100000@gak.voicenet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-22 19:47:07 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 11:47:07 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 11:47:07 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: The Ebolics Virus may be contained

At 10:38 AM -0800 12/22/96, Dale Thorn wrote:
>Gemini Thunder wrote:
>> A minor nit on an otherwise excellent post: I am of the understanding
>> the proper name is "The War of Northern Aggression". :)
>
>Yes. We use both terms, and perhaps others as well. As to the Northern
>Aggression, the avalanche of propaganda after the war (and continuing

And I recall from my history classes that the _official_ name of that war
was "The War of the Rebellion," which of course comes closer to Dale's
point about the war being about an attempted secession, which no serious
scholar doubts it was about. (Another common name: The War Between the
States. The "Civil War" is far and away the most common name, but is, as
Dale notes, highly misleading. The winner gets to write the history books,
though.)

(Oh, it was "about" lots of things, things we all studied in high school.
Cotten, tariffs, and the right not to have to teach children in Ebonics.)

By the way, I'll be off the list for a while, for the usual seasonal
reasaons. Ignore the usual Vulis remarks about how my silence means he has
succeeded in driving me off the list, or that I'm in a tryst with Gilmore
and Hughes.

As to subjects discussed on the list, it's interesting that my very much
"on-topic" post on extortion and untraceable payments, a very long post,
has generated not a single response, while the "Ebonics" thread be cookin
and jivin. I be dissed by dis shit.

(Anyone who claims only crypto- or digicash-related sorts of posts are what
the list should talk about should note the dynamics of these threads.)

By the way, both Jesse Jackson and famed poetess Maya Angelou have
denounced the Oakland School Board's adoption of "Ebonics" as shameful and
a travesty. Jackson said black children should not be encouraged to speak
"garbage."

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"