1996-12-25 - Re: Legality of requiring credit cards?

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f18ca4ac62077e135b0e8ab8748ab13b18e2f5439105528e291f8b38266d8861
Message ID: <8X2HZD96w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19961225013128.00cfb688@martigny.ai.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-25 16:10:21 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 08:10:21 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 08:10:21 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Legality of requiring credit cards?

Fuck Christmas...

"Brian A. LaMacchia" <bal@martigny.ai.mit.edu> writes:

> See in clause (1) where it says, "cause or attempt to cause a domestic
> financial institution to fail to file a report required under section
> 5313(a)"?  See the words "attempt to cause"?  Now go back to EBD's original
> post.  See where he said "Report of Suspicious Transaction"?  See the
> errors in your argument above?  Good.

Here's a somewhat related post I saw on alt.revenge:

]From: dastuart@mail.entrsft.com
]Newsgroups: alt.revenge
]Subject: Re: Car salesmen and dealerships
]Date: Tue, 24 Dec 96 07:23:20 GMT
]    I remember once, my ex had a problem with a furniture store in
]Fayetteville, NC as they were rude to her on the phone and hung up, she called
]the manager to complain and he was just as rude.
]
]    Wellllllllll.... that didn't set too well with her so she (& I) went down
]the next day to make her monthly payment. She was so upset, that she decided to
]pay the last three payments and get rid of them permanently. The previous day
]she withdrew the money from the bank, @ $120.00 ($40.00 per payment).
]
]    We walked in the store that FRIDAY at 5:15 (they close at 5:30) she went
]ahead of me to the back of the store where they receive pymnts and announced
]that she was totally pi**ed with the attitude of the employees (explained what
]had happened) and that she wanted to pay them off and would not do business
]with them anymore. She asked for and got the finally pay off as I walked
]towards her and placed the money on the counter.
]
]    As I did..... (did I mention that the $120.00 was in UNROLLED PENNIES ?)
]all hell broke lose, the cashier said that they had to be rolled. Rhonda told
]her that she would not and as a matter of fact she spent an hour unrolling
]them.  (it took that long because as we did, we replaced the "wheaties" with
]regular pennies) and asked her if she was refusing payment.
]
]    She called the manager on the phone and came back smugly and said , no we
]are not refusing payment, we are refusing the form of payment, Rhonda said,
]regardless of the 'form' it is US currency and legal.  Not a check which you
]have the option to accept or not.
]
]    She again called the manager and he came back there. Going through this
]again with him, Rhonda said, Now I ask you one more time, regardless of the
]form of payment, this is it, will you accept it or not? If not, then I will
]consider my debt paid in full.
]
]    Finally he agreed to accept it. She told him that she thought that there
]was exactly $120.00 there but wanted him to count it to make sure, because she
]didn't want to short change his company and if there was a penny extra was
]damned if they were going to get it. She went on with him for another round,
]finally he agreed, that they would count it and she could pick up her receipt
]tomorrow.
]
]    Tomorrow, hell no, I come 25 miles to pay this off and I am not going home
]without a receipt. The bottom line is that they wanted to get home, and didn't
]want to mess with this.
]
]    She stated that her debt was considered "PAID IN FULL" and that if they
]wanted to sue her that they could take her to small claims court, and if they
]did, she would appeal the decision if it were not in her favor to a higher
]court (which in NC is Superior) and of course she wanted a trial by jury so
]that at least twelve people would hear the story about their company but not to
]try to put anything damaging in her credit file because she had a press release
]to send to her paper and the one in Fayetteville and would sue them for
]defamation of character (and a few other things).
]
]    We walked out of the store and went home and had to roll the pennies. The
]only thing that we heard from them was a flier in the mail @ 2 weeks later when
]they were having a preferred customer sale. (obviously the fliers were sent out
]before they took our name off of their mailing list.
]
]stuart
]

I wonder if something in U.S.C. say that if you try to pull this trick on
a U.S.G. agency, you're guilty of "unlawful structuring" or some such shit.

Personally, Jim Bell is an asshole, but he's right about many things.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM