1996-12-07 - Re: Mondex

Header Data

From: Gary Howland <gary@systemics.com>
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Message Hash: f1cb85da7831f07bb2a176889ea58ecf9da18dadc0769ceebf1f44ab0549c4e9
Message ID: <199612071408.PAA22126@internal-mail.systemics.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.94.961206110148.1568B-100000@polaris>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-07 14:06:20 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 06:06:20 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Gary Howland <gary@systemics.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 06:06:20 -0800 (PST)
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Subject: Re: Mondex

> Can anyone briefly discuss the anonymity features (or lack thereof) for
> Mondex?

Any anonymity derives from the fact that Mondex cards are bearer devices.
Sure, a real name may have to be used to obtain a card, but I don't see how
Mondex can prevent the cards being passed on.  One would guess that they could
only realistically achieve this if the card were embedded in a credit card or
something similar.

As far as I can see, the transactions have to be untraceable, as long as user
to user transactions can occur, and there is no limit to the number of
transactions per card.  Even if the cards record the last 300 (as rumours
suggest) transactions, that just means I have to perform 300 transactions
between a pair of my cards in order to erase the "interesting" history.  The
ability to erase the history could only be prevented by restricting the number
of transactions per card, or by preventing card to card transactions.

There does seem to be some scope for other tracing tricks however.  For
instance, it may be possible for a card to remember IDs of the last few
hundred cards it has communicated with.  However, if we know this, then we
just have to have a few hundred cards of our own to "erase" the interesting
IDs.

Bear in mind that it may be possible for all "electronic coins" that are
issued to be given a serial number.  There would be no tricks to circumvent
this, but of course tracing can only occur when the money leaves and enters
the bank (and perhaps at every shop counter), so the usefulness of this is
limited if many user to user transactions are occurring.  I don't think Mondex
does this, though, since the memory requirements seem to be too large for
todays smartcards.  What I *guess* Mondex does do though, is "mark" coins in
certain situations - eg. a kidnapper is paid a ransom via cellphone in another
country using Mondex, but the coins are marked. They will stay marked no
matter how many times they are transferred, and eventually will be caught by
the system (either as they are deposited into an account, or perhaps via shop
terminals looking for the mark).  This would not ensure the catching of the
kidnapper, but at least gives the authorities a start.  It may also be
possible to put a time limit on these expired coins, so that the money
"vanishes" some time after the baby is returned alive (or whatever).

Gary

Thread