1996-12-11 - Re: Java DES breaker?

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f532c7b9ff31b4ddacc94e1e4014c2d6a223854309ca2343f6cb5d2a285bc0d7
Message ID: <6uBsyD129w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.961211130512.9870A-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-11 19:09:05 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:09:05 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:09:05 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Java DES breaker?

Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com> writes:
> On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
>
> > Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com> writes:
> > > I have a client who needs strong crypto routines in Java.  (They want
> > > maintain the privacy of their customer's data when stored on the customer
> > > disk.)  They need the platform independence that Java provides.  I would
> > > appreciate pointers to implementations.  (BTW - I already know about the
> > > Systemics routines.)
>
> > I think it would make much more sense to implement a CPU-intensive problem
> > like DES in ActiveX.
>
> Sure, if all you have on your desktop is a PC.  Some folks happen to have
> Ultra-1's on theirs, and ActiveX won't work there.  Besides, Just In Time
> compilers are doing quite well, even on PC's.

I happen to have a Sparc 20 box and a Linux box and a SCO box, and ActiveX
won't work on any of those. I also work with a bunch of other equipment
that's much faster than a PC, but doesn't run browsers. (Most of it is not
connected to the 'net for security reasons, but that's besides the point.)

If Bill's client is sure to run the platforms that MS IE runs on, then this is
not a consideration.

Interpreted FORTH bytestream (which is what Java is) may be "doing quite well"
when drawing GUI gizmos and widgets, but it can't get anywhere near the
performance of hand-optimizer assembler that you can stick into ActiveX.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM