1997-01-20 - Re: a comment of Vulis’s

Header Data

From: Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 04c33ae967b01fd1e16da9c44a448d261c22d18e9684f58efbe9647c74a7259d
Message ID: <199701202144.NAA19211@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 13:44:13 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 13:44:13 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: a comment of Vulis's

Dr Vulis made a comment that there was the threat of persons in favor of the
moderator being able to get away with slander while those victims being
unable to respond.  I assume that the moderator will refrain from such
action, but if something were actually cut, I could get it through anyway.
At least until majordomo is secured against such intrusion.

The list won't be truly secure until no one can request the subscription list.
If I felt that I needed to get my message past the moderator, I would just
request the complete listing of cypherpunks subscribers, copy that into the
Bcc: field of eudora, and forge an address.  Now my message would get
through, my computer would probably be tied up for an hour or so
distributing my statement, but my message would get through.
The security necessary to counteract this would be to either make the
subscription list unavailable, or delete the actual addresses from the list.
For instance Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu> would become Sean Roach.
Now people could still see who was on the list, but couldn't use it to
negate the established distribution system.

Thread