1997-01-29 - Re: Best Computer School?

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@disposable.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0864cf003e0e4b881a68540d7afecc9704c397018e18fabf45d8c8184600fae1
Message ID: <32EF2569.7E09@disposable.com>
Reply To: <199701290656.WAA21795@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-29 10:22:42 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 02:22:42 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@disposable.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 02:22:42 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Best Computer School?

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> Let me plug Carnegie Mellon University, which consistently ties with
> MIT and one of them California schools for first place in computer
> science.

You must be joking. After all you've said about the school, you're
recommending it? Isn't "Mr. L-18 Tag" the head of the department now?

Anyway, our correspondent is asking the wrong question. There is no
"best" school. If you want to be a brilliant programmer, I think you
have to be born that way. If you want theory, you need to be specific
about your research interests. If you want mass-marketable experience in
Windoze, avoid the big-name schools, which tend to treat Windows with
the respect is deserves. (At Stanford, despite having a very nice Paul
Allen Center for Integrated Systems and a posh new Bill Gates
Information Sciences building, all instruction is done in Think C or
UNIX.)

-rich

Thread