1997-01-26 - Re: Cellular location…

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: “Mark M.” <markm@voicenet.com>
Message Hash: 08e97fd1e227244a4c86b856431ad393358cbe6b6bd7e1927325fb77902df598
Message ID: <199701261655.IAA18550@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 08:55:44 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 08:55:44 -0800 (PST)
To: "Mark M." <markm@voicenet.com>
Subject: Re: Cellular location...

At 07:54 PM 1/25/97 -0500, Mark M. wrote:
>> Companies working on the technology to track cellular phone calls
>> [...]
>I wonder how expensive it would be to put a GPS receiver in a cell phone and
>have the option to transmit the coordinates on a separate channel.

Pretty expensive - GPS receivers currently cost ~$200, which is more
than the average cell phone, and needs a whole separate set of
radio-receiver hardware, so you'd about double the size of your phone.
On the other hand, the cell sites already know which you're close to,
and can easily enough track when you've made transitions between cells.
So they can get a good start on location by processing information that the
phone companies need to have anyway.  Would they save any of this
for later?  Of course not :-)

>"location escrow" to make it easier for the feds to track drug dealers.
And everybody else....

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread