1997-01-27 - RE: Fighting the cybercensor

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1441962e3da01a7b76bee75484ff324b3196b8685f0e5ec582a9c831bdc0042c
Message ID: <Vw261D78w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199701270100.RAA21027@mail.pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-27 02:00:32 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 18:00:32 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 18:00:32 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Fighting the cybercensor

jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com> writes:

> Look, I've proposed what I consider to be a remarkably consistent method to
> prevent the kind of political tyranny that you criticize, and I don't see
> any recognition of this fact.

I said many times that I find AP a very interesting notion, worthy of study.
Given how fast online gambling is growing, how soon do we have to wait for
a web site for taking bets on deaths of politicians and other prominents?
Why not set one up, using "funny money" not convertible to anything?

> For the benefit of the masses, the AP ("Assassination Politics") solution
> to, for example, the Iraq problem would be to allow anyone and everyone in
> the world to donate money towards the death of Saddam Hussein, and any
> leadership which survives him, until that leadership satisfies the public
> that they won't be following in Hussein's footsteps.  Simple.  Economical.
> And, dare I say it, fair.

I have much respect for Saddam Hussein. I understand he's more admired by
Iraqi people than, say, the kkklintons are by American people. Saddam even
commands the respect of his Iranian enemies.

> I believe that the Coalition spent $60 BILLION dollars doing the Iraq war,
> and they didn't even get rid of Saddam.  I'm sure AP would have done the
> task for under $100 million, and possibly far less. (and that money would
> have been collected by donation, not stolen in taxes.  Much of that money
> would have come from the Iraqi people themselves, BTW.)

I doubt that they would collect much among the Iraqis: both because Saddam
is pretty popular, and because they don't have much cash, thanks to the
sanctions. I doubt they'd collect billions or even millions in the Western
countries. These were involuntary taxes. Do people really hate Saddam so
much as to bet that he'll live and hope to lose their bets to an assassin?
I doubt it. And you can't do the standard fundraising trick of collecting
some funds, then using them to run media ads soliciting more funds.

I suppose Kiwaiti and Saudi sheikhs might bet a few million.

(I hate these guys - I'd like to bet on the continuing existence of a
basket of sheikhs :-)

>  There would be few if any civilian casualities, no hunger or poverty caused
> among the people.  Even their soldiers would be relatively unaffected,
> except that their militaries (as well as ours) would be disbanded.
>
> Reminds me of the punchline to that joke.
>
> "He sent two boats and a helicopter!  What more did you want?!?"

Was it really Bush's goal to topple Saddam's government and bring in
a U.S.-friendly one that would need billions of dollars of aid?

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM