1997-01-12 - Re: Private Idaho source code now available

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 15a5b27ded8238bff798de1d936f29891b02a7e3b92001939198ef6c544277a5
Message ID: <199701120553.VAA10283@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 21:53:49 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 21:53:49 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Private Idaho source code now available

At 11:35 PM 1/11/97 -0500, Anonymous wrote:
>Joel McNamara says:
>> Private Idaho 2.8b3, a bug fix version of the popular Windows freeware PGP
>> and remailer utility, is now available.  This will be my last official
>> release of PI for the foreseeable future.
>>
>> Due to other projects and new directions, I haven't been able to spend as
>> much time as I'd like coding and supporting Private Idaho.  Instead of
>> seeing it die on the vine, I've decided to release the source code under
>> the GNU General Public License (export disclaimer - the sources do not
>> include, or have ever contained, cryptographic algorithms).
>
>	My understanding is that Private Idaho uses PGP internally
>and provides the same functionality as premail, with an
>easier to use GUI.
>
>	Given that, it would still be export controlled, since it
>enables cryptography. That is why Raph doesn't allow export of premail.

The "enables cryptography" thing just doesn't cut it.  A computer "enables
cryptography" to a person without a computer.  The MSDOS operating system
"enables cryptography" to a person with a computer but without an OS.  A
hard disk with a filesystem "enables cryptography" by providing an
intermediate data storage location (and format) for encrypted and
unencrypted data, as well as the encryption program.  Even a modem program
or mail program "enables cryptography", or at least enables the transmission
of encrypted data, etc.

Apparently, the phrase "enable cryptography" is either just about
meaningless, or is so broad as to be not usable to determine which items are
exportable and which aren't.  How about narrowing it down a bit?

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread