1997-01-11 - Re: A vote of confidence for Sandy

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@disposable.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 16f2fa2813a6a4b8d48762cbad5a6c7cd9b1879eeac1af72fdf38110a44786fd
Message ID: <32D707A2.5410@disposable.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.970109162541.11773A-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-11 03:25:12 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 19:25:12 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@disposable.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 19:25:12 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: A vote of confidence for Sandy

Ray Arachelian wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Dale Thorn wrote:
>
> > 1. Sandfort is the person who would never drop an argument, no matter
> >    how long, until he had the last word.  I know since I went rounds
>
> Sandfort isn't the only one who will do this, there will be a pool of
> moderators. Regardless of your personality conflict, I am sure that Sandy
> will remain fair and allow appropriate posts from you through. i.e.
> anything to do with crypto. :)

Come on, the de facto topics of this list aren't limited to crypto.

I'd just like to say that as disgusting as I find most of Dale's posts,
I consider almost all of them appropriate for the list.

[The referenced post isn't one of them, of course.]

Is the goal really to be a "best of cypherpunks," or is it just to cut out the
most inane trolling (of which there is a lot)? While I'd classify Dale's posts
as among "worst of cypherpunks," IMO they are all at least *of* cypherpunks.

I would not favor a moderation policy that gave carte blanche to "good guys"
to talk about whatever they wanted ("libertarian bullshit" in Chudov's
delicate phrasing), but required posts by "bad guys" like Dale (and in certain
threads, me -- you never know) to be "about crypto." That's a hypocritical
double standard.

I just want the complete crap out of the way. I was envisioning a mostly
unfiltered cypherpunks where the traffic level remained so high that the
filtered "best of" lists like fcpunx were still in demand.

Of course, I'm reading cypherpunks only a couple times a day via nntp, so I'm
more tolerant of nonsense than people who want to follow the list as an email
list. To those people I'd say sorry, but cryptography@c2.net is available. But
I'm only one voice; the moderators can do whatever they want.

-rich

Thread