1997-01-05 - Re: Experiments on Mailing Lists

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@amaranth.com>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 1887a99590fe53e5ccf43a9bcd6eba502bd54fd706454ff50cd38fe8e258857b
Message ID: <199701050826.CAA17738@mailhub.amaranth.com>
Reply To: <v03007801aef4d95b7746@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-05 08:24:24 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 00:24:24 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@amaranth.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 00:24:24 -0800 (PST)
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>

Hi,

Thought that I would add a few statistics on cypherpunks list filtering.

Since this afternoon I received 70 messages from the mailing list.

Of those 70 28 went into my twit folder (40%).

Of those 28:

- 2 anonymous posts:
    1 was moved back to my cypherpunks folder
    1 was Tim May slander message
- Remaining 26 belonged to 4 users on my twit list (non spam)

42 of 70 made it past my filter into my cypherpunks folder (60%).

Of those 42:

- 4  were spam that got past my filter. <sigh> I only filter repeat offenders. - 12 were
on Controlling spam on the list
- 6  were on ITAR/EAR
- 3  were on SSL Spoofing
- 3  were on Tim May/Cryptoanarchy
- 3  were on Ecash
- 2  were on OCR
- 2  were on California Inet Law
- 1  was on Secret Sharing
- 6  were on misc topics

I have found that by filtering out a handfull of users plus anonymous posts the list
becomes quite manageable. As far as spam goes I don't think there is any solution other
than the delete key. A good % of the time one can tell from the message topic that it is
spam and can delete the message without opening it.

As far as the issue of paying to download unwanted messages. One a user gets a good feel
for who the want to filter out they should be able to create a
killfile on their ISP's server.

William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii
Geiger Consulting    WebExplorer & Java Enhanced!!!
Cooking With Warp 4.0

Look for MR/2 Tips & Rexx Scripts
Get Work Place Shell for Windows!!

Finger whgiii@amaranth.com for PGP Key and other info