1997-01-04 - Re: Experiments on Mailing Lists

Header Data

From: ph@netcom.com (Peter Hendrickson)
To: “Timothy C. May” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1d6dd37045011a68485dfe3cb847ae2a90cea60a70f7958e9c6c3be0c59d36cd
Message ID: <v02140b01aef46e21565d@[192.0.2.1]>
Raw Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 12:43:45 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ph@netcom.com (Peter Hendrickson)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 12:43:45 -0800 (PST)
To: "Timothy C. May" <cypherpunks@toad.com

At 11:02 AM 1/4/1997, Timothy C. May wrote:
>At 7:49 AM -0800 1/4/97, Peter Hendrickson wrote:
>> The moderator keeps the cash.  The moderator is pulled in several
>> directions.  He or she wants to keep the money but also wants people
> ...blah blah blah....

> All of these schemes--some of them pretty clever--for posting tokens,
> reputation-based killfiles, buying and selling reputation futures, etc.,
> are almost certainly far too complicated to deploy on a list like ours.

> ...[Interesting Extropian history deleted.]...

> So, rather than do similar tinkering with the Cypherpunks list--not that
> either Hugh Daniel or John Gilmore have given any hint they are willing to
> do such tinkering--I suggest those who want to try token-based posting, or
> information markets in reputation capital, or herd-consensus killfiles,
> etc., set up a separate mailing list and implement whatever they wish.

If the point of these schemes is to filter content (*), there is no
reason why they have to be implemented for the entire list.  They
can always be converted to a tag on the message which readers can
use, but are not required to.

I'm sure Tim would not object to any scheme implemented in this way.
(So sure, in fact, that I will give him a dollar if he does object. ;-)

(* If the point is to stop spam attacks, then they do have to affect
the entire list.)

Peter Hendrickson
ph@netcom.com

Thread