1997-01-22 - Re: Dr. Vulis’ social engineering experiment

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Alec <ichudov@algebra.com
Message Hash: 1fe027f20d4e0697b4f7b9931a7481e921474b839153c5c818fe03e51576ad69
Message ID: <199701220555.VAA18997@toad.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 21:55:40 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 21:55:40 -0800 (PST)
To: Alec <ichudov@algebra.com
Subject: Re: Dr. Vulis' social engineering experiment

Alec wrote:
> :Jane Jefferson wrote:
> :> The heart and soul of the problem is that "sin", "freedom", "good",
> :> and "evil" are abstract concepts which fluctuate from individual to
> :> individual.

> Not only from individual to individual.
> Please consider the changes in the concepts of "sin", "freedom", "good",
> and "evil" which occur over time even within the same individual; to
> wit the on and off again love affair with our nation's past "enemies;
> individual responses to drug use especially alcohol; premarital sex
> (ok for me but not my daughter).
> This constant flux within both society and individual makes creation
> and implementation of rules extremely difficult and hazardous.

The idea that "sin" and "evil" are abstract and somewhat arbitrary is
merely a human (and therefore faulty) perception.

If God can be perfect by definition (for sake of argument), then "sin"
is taking one's attention from God's intent and turning to man's intent,
which is inherently selfish.  "Evil" is the selfish thing you do, when
you should do the unselfish thing.

These are not that difficult to understand, but are easily twisted by
selfish minds.

A gentleman wrote to Southern Partisan magazine a few years ago and
said "Real freedom is not the license to do whatever you want, but
rather the liberty to do what you ought to do".

Thread