1997-01-26 - Re: overview.htm (fwd)

Header Data

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
To: ichudov@algebra.com
Message Hash: 1ff36d2b734c311b99338fb4b5fd20c9dba177b2b19512b477611b51fd434847
Message ID: <199701262326.PAA27240@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 15:26:30 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 15:26:30 -0800 (PST)
To: ichudov@algebra.com
Subject: Re: overview.htm (fwd)

> > getting this degenerate disease when they get older.  Check out the
> > videos by Howard Lyman, who used to be a big-time "chemical" farmer.
> > One quote:  "My soil after a few years was like asbestos".
> As far as I understand, 1) no one really understands why cancer rates
> are up so much and 2) since people live longer, they are more likely do
> have cancer.

   While I don't claim to to be a Medical Researcher, I think that 1) should
be reworded to be "No one is willing to _admit_ why cancer rates are up so
much". You (generic) can look at certain population groups where there is
low incidence(sp?) of cancer, and then look at our society and it becomes
pretty obvious.

   Breast Cancer is exteremely rare in japenese women living in Japan. Thes
same women <excuse me while I light a cigerate> move to the US, start living
like American start developing breast cancer at a rate very similar to that
of American born women.

   IMO the biggest reason that "no one really understands why cancer rates are
up..." is that "they" are looking for the single bullet when reality isn't
usually that simple.

   I would be willing to make a bet that if you could get a large population
group to do the following, you would see a large statistical reduction in the
incidence(sp?) of cancer.

	1) Eat a lot of fruits, vegetables & breads and cerials. Stay away from
large quantities of meat. Try to reduce your fat intake to under 20 grams a
day (USDA recommends around 40)

        2) Exercise regularly. Ride a bike or walk/run to work.

	3) Avoid excess in all things.

> What you said is one of the hypotheses. I personally feel that
> environment and bad greasy food are other major contributors.
> The way they cook all these fries, with overheated grease, is very
> bad.

     BINGO!.

     Sorry, gotta go, it's dinner time and McD's is calling...

Thread