1997-01-16 - Re: Airport security [no such thing]

Header Data

From: “C. Kuethe” <ckuethe@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
To: Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
Message Hash: 2042882495de27924b82d56658bd19353fe2fa0881ebeaa0c87e243d4aedeabe
Message ID: <Pine.A32.3.93.970115222513.61262C-100000@gpu1.srv.ualberta.ca>
Reply To: <199701151855.KAA26454@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-16 06:11:58 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 22:11:58 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "C. Kuethe" <ckuethe@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 22:11:58 -0800 (PST)
To: Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
Subject: Re: Airport security [no such thing]

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Sean Roach wrote:

> At 07:42 PM 1/14/97 -0800, Bill Stewart wrote:
> So, to successfully place a "package" on an international flight, take a
> connecting flight that hooks up at the same terminal.  Go to your local "has
> no x-ray, doing well to have a metal detector" airstrip and take a flight on
> one of the commuter flights such as Eagle, (this way you might be lucky
> enough to enter the next, probably major airport, in the same terminal as
> some international flights.)  Now, its presumed that you have already been
> searched at your last stop because you're already in the secured area.

Ummmm... a few comments.  I flew from McCarran Int'l (las Vegas) to Durango,
CO via Denver over new years.  Due to my transportation arrangements I was
forced to "camp out" in the airport overnight.  That was OK, because I'd just
come off a camping trip anyway.  No security people came and asked me what I
was doing hovering so close to the security doors at 2am.

I would have checked my luggage as soon as I got there, but United Airlines
only lets you check in 4 hours before departure..  And checkin opens at 5 and
I had a flight shortly thereafter.  No biggie.  As I checked my stuff (1 bag
and skis) I mumbled like I didn't care: "Yes I packed this myself, yes it's
been in my posession continuously since I packed it, no I haven't been asked
to transport anything by persons unknown to me." I got an eyebrow but that's
it.  Apparently they don't have to *ask* they just need the answers.

Going thru security, I told them the were not going to fry my HP (hp48gx
calculator - I had homework) they could hand check... they did.  OK fine.
There's 2 card slots for memcards they  didn't check. approximately
2"x3.5"x.6"  how much "stuff" could you put in there?  And it has a timer
built in.  It wouldn't be too hard to "forget" it on a plane...  THen the
metal detectors.  *PingPingPing* (the ping of death) "Step this way sir."
through the other gate. *PingPingPing*   I hate it when this happens.  It was
my hiking boots.  HiTec Sierra Lite II.  Steel shank... or steel stilletto
or... or... or...  you get the drift.  interesting things could be put inside
the sole of the boot.

At the gate... this is the cool part.  Everybody remember the thread about ID
and airlines?  Well I got an E-Ticket, purchased in my name, by someone I'd
never met. I needed ID to check in, but at the gate? Nope... the ETKT is a 1
piece card and you just show that to the flight attendant and your on... no
boarding pass.  So Chris Kuethe (Me) could have picked up his ETKT and given
it to Mr. Clark (Tom Clancy superassassin/SEAL) and that's it.  Or Mr. Clark
could have faked it.... you can access UAL reservations on the WWW. So it
looks like ETKT's are the weak link. There was no hard doc of me getting on
the plane.  And some weak spot in security.  *sigh* Rent-a-Cops!

Durango was interesting.  I got there to go home after skiing CO (Wolf Creek)
I get to the Check in counter.  "Yes sir No sir three bags full sir"  same
crap about my luggage contents.  Flight leaves from gate 1.  There's 2 ways to
gate 1: go straight down the hall, or go left, thru security, go right, into
the insecure waiting room.  I did number 1. I get on the plane.  No id req'd.

It was a DHC-8 (Dash 8).  So I walked across the tarmac, and boarded. Fine.
Flew for an hour, and landed in denver, where I had to switch flights. So here
I am... unsearched passenger in a secure area! This is about to change. I
arrived at gate 59e. Walk in. There, between me and the doors to the rest of
the terminal is a real checkpoint. Same drill.  Not nuking my calc. See it
works... plays tetris, too.  Hiking boots again. they really ought to xray
boots that beep. but anyway, they didn't ask for ID there either. They new I
was coming from an insecure airport (Durango) and security was waiting.
Funny, I left through that gate, too, and there was no security then. "Special
Events Only" I guess... I mean this make me feel like james bond and all, but
it's also creepy.  And they say they've increased security... :(

Another bad one last time I was there was Campbell River, BC, Canada. To help
"suspicious items" pass security, put computer stickers on it. I went through
Edmonton Intl with a laser, with all the warning stickers on it... I even had
the batteries handy and my swiss army knife to open it up... I had 6 security
officers come over and check it out, and then they saw the "Apple Computer"
sticker on there (decoration only) and left me alone.

So, to wrap up... Fly on United Airlines. Check www.ual.com  -- reservation/
check-in computer.  Get an E-Ticket. Durango, Colorado: BAD / NO SECURITY!
Durango's airport code is DRO... not to be confused with Durango, New Mex...

> This post is not meant to suggest ways of breaking state, federal, or
> international laws.  Merely to point out the weaknesses of the system as it
> stands.  If the airport network was a computer network, it would be
> compromized inside of 48 hours.  All because the level of trust between
> airports defaults to full.

Yeah... took the words outta my mouth.  Let's all write to the FAA, DOT, etc.
and tell them what morons they are...  sorry tell them that they need work. No
more Lockerbies, TWA800's and other such tragedies.

PLUR
Chris

[Peace.Love.Unity.Respect]

--