1997-01-27 - Re: libsln.htm – Is Libel a Crime?

Header Data

From: aga <aga@dhp.com>
To: “Igor Chudov @ home” <ichudov@algebra.com>
Message Hash: 219c95c0cd37b2e4557b4a1b1bc030b0a5990906d6c055aafa69ede7c6794c4a
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.970127064951.27949E-100000@dhp.com>
Reply To: <199701270714.BAA00545@manifold.algebra.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-27 12:00:22 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:22 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: aga <aga@dhp.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:22 -0800 (PST)
To: "Igor Chudov @ home" <ichudov@algebra.com>
Subject: Re: libsln.htm -- Is Libel a Crime?

drgrubor is now at the pgh.org instead of aol.com

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Igor Chudov @ home wrote:

> [Cc: to Dr. John Martin Grubor, Law Systems Institute, Medical-Cannabis Assn]
>
> Jim Choate wrote:
> >

> >    Landskroner, LTD. [INLINE]
> >
> > Libel / Slander
>
> I am not sure if you posted this information in response to my request
> to cite a statute that would prove that libel is a crime.
>
> Me> Jim Choate wrote:
> Me> >
> Me> >
> Me> >
> Me> > Are you aware that attributing statements in print to a party when that
> Me> > party did not write them is a crime?
> Me>
> Me> cite the statute
>

> These postings do not prove that libel is a crime. It is because libel
> is not a crime. Libel is a tort, and unlike with crime, the government
> cannot initiate a legal action against someone for libel. Only injured
> (libeled) individuals and not the government can sue in a libel case.

That is correct.  Libel is a tort and not a crime.

> I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable about the law could
> comment on this. I may be mistaken.
>
> igor

No, you are correct Igor.  Libel is written defamation, and defamation
is NEVER a crime in the USA.  It may be in other countries, but not
the good old USA.

> >    Libel / Slander is an area that involves defamatory oral or written
> >    statements containing false and misleading material which causes
> >    damage or injury to reputation and/or monetary loss.

And it is tough to prove.  Just where was this article posted at?

> >    We provide a quick review of their success stories , some media and
> >    newspaper articles about what they've been able to do for their
> >    clients, and published articles about this topic.
> >
> >    Please e-mail us with questions about our service! Landskroner and
> >    Phillips
> >    [INLINE]
> >
> >    Nationally Recognized Consumer Trial Advocates.
> >    Over 100 Years combined experience in both State and Federal Courts.

These guys do not know what they are talking about.

> >    55 Public Square, Tenth Floor, Cleveland Ohio 44113-1904
> >    Phone: (216) 241-7000
> >    Fax: (216) 241-3135
> >    Toll Free: (888) 241-7001
> >    [INLINE]
> >

> 	- Igor.

The assholes are not Criminal Lawyers, and I will give them a call
to check them out...

I left a mesage with them. and told the InterNet lawyer to call
be back.  This is just a Civil Law firm looking for business.

-aga

Thread