1997-01-27 - Re: WinKrypt

Header Data

From: Gemini Thunder <gt@kdn0.attnet.or.jp>
To: Frank Willoughby <frankw@in.net>
Message Hash: 2358f83bcd9d2e96b0ca1d4a81b44e76076dd6a7e6f21bf5a2a7a1888794416e
Message ID: <199701271426.GAA23772@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 06:26:16 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Gemini Thunder <gt@kdn0.attnet.or.jp>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 06:26:16 -0800 (PST)
To: Frank Willoughby <frankw@in.net>
Subject: Re: WinKrypt

Thus sprach Frank Willoughby <frankw@in.net>:

>Out of curiosity, is anyone familiar with WinKrypt by Syncronsys?

Syncronsys [sp?] Software is the maker of SoftRam95, a program that
 supposedly doubled your memory through memory compression and other
 quasi-magical means. It was later revealed that not only did it not
 work as advertised, but it actually did not do anything at all
 (except display graphs indicating non-existant improvements).  IIRC,
 they lost a class action suit over this issue.

I would trust an encryption program relased to the public by the NSA
 more than anything these charlatans released.

[snip]
>I was curious how it compares to McAfee's PC Crypto which uses
>40-bit DES or 160-bit Blowfish (user-chooses) & other PC/laptop
>encryption products.  BTW, I would also appreciate your input
>on any crypto products which you believe to be robust, easy-to-use
>& secure.  (I know I can only have 2 out of 3, but it's worth a try
>anyway).  8^)

I consider PGP to be robust, easy-to-use (with some front-end
 assistance), and secure.  However, I am by no means an authority on
 crypto.

- 2[b]||!2[b] /* What's the question?  It's a tautology! */
- 0x2B|!0x2B  /* == FFFFFFFF */

Thread