1997-01-31 - Re: Cats Out of Bags

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: 2f00ab9682c755785b70ec55604cc9ca5d37ab626e2a2b3a723f10a5a43ba858
Message ID: <199701311357.FAA14264@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 05:57:56 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 05:57:56 -0800 (PST)
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: Cats Out of Bags

> "When I talk to other governments," [David L. Aaron] said,
> "they still don't feel that the cat is out of the bag."

Aaron's denying that the cat is out of the bag?
He was fashionably dressed in a Lion Tamer's outfit,
waving a whip, and trying to herd hundreds of small furry mammals
to jump through a hoop and back into a clawed-up army duffel-bag!
"Cats?  Haven't seen any cats around here!  Pay no attention to these,umm,
Siberian Hamsters that I'm evaluating for export approval."

> "Other governments were upset with the 56-bit export allowance.
> They said it was going to undermine their national security."

On this point, the other governments are correct.
It really _is_ tougher to maintain a nation-state when your
former subjects can have private conversations with each other
and with other governments' former subjects......
And even 56 bits is a start.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread