1997-01-18 - Repeal the 9th Amendment?

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 371bbadca6d1334a086e1252ec2e68edcb16399d3906cb581dafc6e7b0829c81
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19970118135359.0068ca28@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 05:58:58 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 05:58:58 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Repeal the 9th Amendment?

A challenge on the ignored Ninth Amendment:

1-14-97. Washington Times, p. A14:

Why not just repeal the forgotten Ninth Amendment

Your Jan. 9 article on the "assisted suicide" issue argued before
the U.S. Supreme Court does not mention the Ninth Amendment once
("High court wrestles with assisted suicide"). I was not surprised.
Democrats and Republicans consistently ignore the Ninth (and
appoint judges who likewise ignore it).

The Ninth Amendment states: "The enumeration in the Constitution
of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage
others retained by the people." By ignoring this plain wording,
the judiciary displays a reluctance to "create new constitutional
rights," an admirable sentiment. Considering that no one seems to
take it seriously, perhaps we should consider repealing the
"forgotten" Ninth Amendment.

After all, it seems to be written in invisible ink on just about
every copy of the Bill of Rights owned by journalists and the
judiciary. It is never the basis if deciding cases. Instead, it
just clutters up the Bill of Rights and causes libertarians to
prattle on endlessly about individual rights. I believe it would
be healthy for this country to debate repealing the Ninth
Amendment.

Although I am opposed to the idea of repealing it, I am just as
opposed to the idea of ignoring parts of the Bill of Rights.
Perhaps my proposed debate will cause some lawyers, journalists,
judges and Supreme Court justices to reconsider their present
positions.

Jim Ray
Miami, Fla.

Mr. Ray is chairman of the Dade County Libertarian Party Organization.

Thread