1997-01-21 - Re: Dr Vulis’s crypto experiment (Re: IMDMP: SOURCE CODE RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT)

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3c6703370b1c7247c2a5ea1434dab539d620a3cb2e9bf130493351e028a5499e
Message ID: <199701210612.WAA29987@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 22:12:39 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 22:12:39 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Dr Vulis's crypto experiment (Re: IMDMP: SOURCE CODE RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT)

Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
> my predictions:

>         1) Dale Thorn will become another Kagalenko and will mailbomb mods

Unless someone can give me good enough reason to get involved with
communications programming, even at a macro level, I doubt I'll be
much of a technical threat to c-punks et al.  I suspect that the main
reason for much of Sandy's fear and loathing of late is not the
incessant Spamming of the c-punks list, but rather the presence of a
superior, dominant intellect which threatens his space here.

Which would you fear most: The government looking over your shoulder,
checking for possible ITAR violations, or a relentless critic who's
apparently made it his current life's mission to ceaselessly point out
your limitations to the whole world?

>         2) 90% of cypherpunks-moderated will be about moderation
>            and censorship

This topic should be one of the easiest to cut....

>         3) there will be massive openings of alternative cypherpunks
>            mailing lists, all doomed to fail

Failure or success depends on many factors.  Unfortunately, most
successes in real life are money-sponsored, and therefore necessarily
contain a driving, but hidden agenda.

>         4) several alt.* newsgroups like alt.cypherpunks will be created

Most people watch TV rather than get involved in anything. Whatever is
interesting about that (other than as an academic study) I don't know.

>         5) main business of freedom-knights will be shitting and spitting
>            at cypherpunks in alt.cypherpunks

I've been posting some intense material to freedom-knights, but the
response has been quite restrained.  One could conjecture that the
interest level there is not high (as far as c-punks goes), or that
the maturity level is higher than other places...

>         6) moderators will spend increasing amounts of time on their work

In mathematics, when something doesn't compute intuitively, although
on paper the proposition looks OK, you'd say "there's something wrong
or missing here, it doesn't add up", etc.  Moderators spending lots of
time moderating postings from the hoi polloi doesn't add up either.

>         7) crossposting between alt.cypherpunks and mail.cypherpunks
>            will be prohibited by alt.cypherpunks FAQ, posted monthly
>            by Dr. John Martin Grubor

This thing about crossposting is way overblown.  I was told forcefully
once not to crosspost to c-punks and coderpunks, as though one list were
a true subset of the other.  Posters should be advised of the specific
reasons for not "crossposting" to certain list combinations, unless you
are referring only to commercial Spam or other 'bot-generated mail.

Thread