1997-01-07 - Re: Sandy and I will run a cypherpunks “moderation” experiment in Jan

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3d55f7a6c37584e10b489950db873f1a98acfaabc76498fa4607b7d675355e32
Message ID: <Do56ZD7w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199701070610.AAA02851@manifold.algebra.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-07 16:28:03 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 08:28:03 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 08:28:03 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Sandy and I will run a cypherpunks "moderation" experiment in Jan

ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home) writes:
> You gave us another example of why charters that restrict moderators'
> ability to reject posts are good. In soc.culture.russian.moderated
> we had a similar problem (now resolved completely), when certain anonymous
> posters posted articles that looked like articles from newspapers.

Since not a lot of people on this list read soc.culture.*, I'll give a
slightly different view of how Igor's moderation works in practice.

The charter of s.c.r.m prohibits flames and gratuitous obscenities.
However this rule is not enforced.  Certain friends of Igor (including
some of the s.c.r.m moderators) habitually cross-post articles between
soc.culture.russian.moderated, soc.culture.russian (unmoderated), and
a dozen other newsgroups saying things like: "<The s.c.r FAQ maintainer>
is a cocksucker and a motherfucker and has been arrested for sexually
molesting small children".  The targets of the flames are not permitted
to respond on soc.culture.russian.moderated (there's a "blacklist" of
people whose submissions are junked automatically, w/o a human moderator
ever seeing them).  Some time ago Igor invited me to post to s.c.r.m.
I submitted an article and was given to understand that I'm not welcome
to post to s.c.r.m irrespective of what I have to say.

I'm sure that this model suits "cypher punks" well.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM