1997-01-15 - Re: Newt’s phone calls

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3deb56109a850f6feb616d978eeec94bd6e13ebc7213f8b7a0b131553641fccd
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19970114192154.006327e8@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 23:41:00 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 23:41:00 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Newt's phone calls

At 05:58 PM 1/14/97 -0800, Eric Blossom wrote, correctly:
>> Eavesdropping on cellphones is illegal, since there's an expectation of
>> privacy.
>Ummm,  Eavesdropping on cellphones is illegal, because it's illegal.
>See the Electronic Communication Privacy Act (ECPA).  Since when does
>anybody talking on a *radio* have an expectation of privacy?

OK, more precisely, the justification for cellphone eavesdropping
being illegal and cordless phone eavesdropping not being illegal
was that there's an expectation of privacy from cellphones
("they're from the Phone Company") but not from cordless (everybody
with early cordless phones knew they could receive their neighbor's
calls if they used the same channel.)

>Listening in on normal cordless phones is also now illegal, as a
>result of the Communication Assistance to Law Enforcement Act
>(Digital Telephony).
Good point.

The latest word from Louis Freeh is that he's all gung-ho to
investigate the CRIMINAL grandma&grandpa who were EAVESDROPPING
on Newt's phone calls.  Of course, if _he'd_ been eavesdropping
on Newt's phone calls, or yours, it would have been the "legitimate
needs of law enforcement" at work.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread